Contact Lens Safety
Some consumers ignore the consequences of improper lens care, not wanting to take the time to clean their lenses thoroughly. However, taking care of your Colored Contacts before, after and in between uses should be your first order of business. This is not only essential for keeping the lenses in top condition, free of wear and tear, but more importantly vital for the health and well-being of your eyes. Failing to follow a proper cleaning protocol may put you at risk for a host of eye infections, some of which can be very serious and possibly result in blindness.
With the proper instructions and a few supplies, contact lens care is a simple task that will allow you to enjoy your new lenses as long as possible.
Basic maintenance of your color contacts includes four easy-to-follow steps:
- Prepare: Wash your hands to remove dirt and germs that could contaminate your eyes; avoid moisturizing or cream-based soaps as they are not good for colored contacts. Dry with a clean, lint-free towel.
- Clean: Avoiding your fingernails, remove one contact lens and clean it in the solution product recommended by your eye care professional. Place a few drops of the solution into the palm of your hand and gently rub lens with index finger to remove debris. Add more solution and flip over lens to repeat process.
- Rinse: Rinse lens with more solution to wash away dirt and build-up; don’t skimp on this step. Also, never use water from the tap as a rinsing agent as it contains micro-organisms that could cause an unwanted infection.
- Disinfect: Store your color contact lens in a clean case that has been filled with fresh solution to begin the disinfection process. “Topping off” your lens case with a bit of solution is like mixing clean with dirty; don’t do it! Allow your contact lenses to disinfect in the solution for the full amount of time, often 6 hours or longer, or as recommended by the manufacturer.
Following these simple steps will keep your contact lenses sterile and clean for your next wearing. These basic care instructions will remove build-up, cosmetics, allergens and other debris that can muck up your lenses, making them uncomfortable to wear. When you follow the steps you will be happy with your contact lenses and they will be happy with you!
Other good lens wearing habits
* These are basic guidelines and helpful tips on lens wear and care and are intended for informational purposes only. Always follow your Eye Doctor's instructions for proper care and use of your color contacts.
- Limit wearing for 6 to 8 hours at a time; do not wear them for napping or sleeping. Even if the contact lenses are not bothering you, your eyes still need time to get fresh air and rest.
- When applying makeup, insert your cleaned lenses after you have fixed yourself up; use water-based cosmetics rather than oil-based cosmetics when at all possible.
- When washing your face at night, do so after you have first removed, cleaned and disinfected your contact lenses according to the directions.
- Click Here for Step-by-Step Lens Care and Instructions
- Click Here for Tips for First Time Lens Wearers
Article ID: 43, Created On: 2/22/2012, Modified: 2/5/2013